- Patient & Visitor Information
- Our Physician Practices
- Specialty Centers
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Center
- Patient Care Services
- Behavioral Care
- Breast Center
- Cardiac Services
- Cerebrovascular Center
- Chest Pain ER
- Dental Center
- Diabetes Education
- Geriatric Services
- HomeCare Services/Hospice
- Imaging Services
- Laboratory Services
- Mobile Critical Care Unit
- Outpatient Services
- Palmetto Health Counseling
- Parkridge Surgery Center
- PET/CT Imaging Center
- Pharmacy Services
- Prostate Health
- Rehabilitative Services
- Research Physical Therapy Specialists
- Sleep Diagnostic Centers
- Women's Services
- Wound Care
- Education, Residency Programs & Research
- Community Outreach
- Patient Stories
- Palmetto Health Foundation
- Volunteer Programs
The Palmetto Health Palliative Care team focuses on relieving the pain, symptoms and stress of a serious illness so patients can have a better quality of life. Palliative care is offered at any stage of an illness along with other medical treatment. Even patients undergoing treatment for a cure can have palliative care.
Contact Palmetto Health Palliative Care
Our helpful Palliative Care team is ready, willing and happy to provide excellent care. Call us to schedule or learn more about our services at 803-296-2726.
Palmetto Health Palliative Care can help you and your family in the following ways:
- Learning more about your disease
- Planning for advanced care
- Making decisions
- Providing emotional support
- Providing spiritual or religious support
- Making referrals to community agencies
Is Palliative Care the same as hospice?
Not exactly. Palliative care helps and supports patients through all stages of a serious illness, including those still seeking treatment. Hospice care is available for those who are expected to live six months or less.
How do I start getting Palliative Care?
You can ask your doctor or nurse for a referral for Palliative Care at Palmetto Health. Also talk with your family, friends or caregivers about your wishes.
Who are the Palliative Care team members?
Our caregivers include a special team with advanced training, skills and experience working together to meet all your needs:
- Nurse practitioner
- Social worker
Will my insurance pay for it?
Most insurance plans cover all or a portion of the palliative care treatment received in the hospital, similar to other hospital and medical services. This is also true of Medicare and Medicaid. If you have any questions or financial concerns, please talk with a social worker on the Palliative Care team or to the Palmetto Health billing office.
Is Palliative Care right for me?
Palliative care may be right for you if you suffer from pain or other symptoms due to a serious illness. These can include but are not limited to:
- Heart disease
- Respiratory disease
- Kidney failure
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
It also may be right for you if you experience any of the following:
- Frequent emergency department visits
- Several hospital admissions (three or more within 12 months) with the same symptoms
- A medical condition that is getting worse that requires help to control symptoms, pain or stress
- Eating problems related to advanced illness