- Patient & Visitor Information
- Our Physician Practices
- Specialty Centers
- Bariatric Services/Weight Management Center
- Breast Center
- Cancer Centers
- Carolina Stone Center
- Gamma Knife Center
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Center
- Palmetto Health Spine Center
- Stroke Center
- Total Joint Center
- Trauma Center
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Center
- Patient Care Services
- Education, Residency Programs & Research
- Community Outreach
- Patient Stories
- Palmetto Health Foundation
- Volunteer Programs
Cancer Support Programs
The team at Palmetto Health Cancer Centers offers and refers our patients to a variety of support programs and services that provide resources for recovery and emotional healing for patients undergoing treatment.
- Bosom Buddies – Breast cancer support group meets the second Tuesday of each month, 6:30–7:30 p.m. at Palmetto Health Baptist, 1501 Sumter Street, Breast Center building, ground level. Call 803-296-2378 for more information.
- Cancer Resource Room – Patients and their families can browse through the reference books or take some free brochures to learn about cancer, how to treat cancer and tips for caregivers. Internet access is provided for additional information. A Duby Thompson Cancer Resource Room is located on the inpatient oncology units at Palmetto Health Richland and Palmetto Health Baptist.
- Colon Cancer Support Group – Colorectal cancer support group meets the last Tuesday of each month, 6–7 p.m. at Palmetto Health Baptist, 1501 Sumter Street, Breast Center building, ground level. Call 803-296-8574 for more information.
- HEALING ICONS® – a hands-on program for creative expression designed to facilitate art as healing for adult cancer survivors. From surviving to thriving, those who are journeying through the path of cancer need more than medicine to heal. For information, visit Healing Icons® online.
- LIVESTRONG at the YMCA of Columbia - The YMCA of Columbia and the LIVESTRONG® Foundation have joined together to create LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a physical activity and well-being program designed to help adult cancer survivors achieve their holistic health goals. To register and for more information, call 803-799-7159 or visit the Columbia YMCA or LIVESTRONG Foundation.
- Look Good, Feel Better – An American Cancer Society program for women undergoing cancer treatment. Cosmetology professionals help with make up and skin care plus demonstrate fashion techniques with hats, scarves, turbans and wigs. Palmetto Health and other organizations host the program in the midlands. To register, call American Cancer Society at 1-800-227-2345.
- Lung Cancer Support Group – The American Lung Association's Lung Cancer Support Group is a monthly support group open to current cancer patients, survivors, caregivers, family members and friends. The support group meetings are the second Tuesday of every month from 5:30–7 p.m. at the American Lung Association Midlands Office located at 1817 Gadsden Street in Columbia. Call 803-779-5864 for more information.
- MARYS – Meeting And Reviving Your Spirit – African-American breast cancer patients and survivors meet the third Tuesday of the month, 11:35 a.m.–1:15 p.m. at Celia Saxon Health Center, 2133 Solomon Walker Way. For more information, please click here. To download the MARYS brochure, click here.
- Nurse Navigators are educators for patients who are diagnosed with cancer. Registered Nurse Navigators support patients and their families by navigating them through treatment and connecting with community resources.
Libraries for Cancer Resources
Browse through the reference books or take some free brochures to learn more about cancer, how to treat cancer and tips for caregivers. Internet access is provided for additional information.
Chaplains are available to provide spiritual support or connect patients and their families with a minister, rabbi, priest or faith-group leader.
The chapels at both campuses are open 24 hours a day for prayer and meditation.
Call (803) 434-7555 at Palmetto Health Richland for more information.
Call (803) 296-5455 at Palmetto Health Baptist for more information.
|American Cancer Society||1-800-ACS-2345|
|Living Beyond Breast Cancer||Helpline: 1-888-753-5222|
|National Cancer Institute Information Service||1-800-4-CANCER|
|People Living With Cancer||1-703-299-1914|
|The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation||1.800.I'MA.WARE (1-800-462-9273)|
|Young Survival Coalition||1-212-206-6610 or toll free 1-877-YSC-1011|
|Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization||1-800-221-2141