- Patient & Visitor Information
- Our Physician Practices
- Primary Care Practices
- Cardiovascular Practices
- Hospitalist Practices
- Medical Specialty Practices
- OB/GYN Practices
- Palmetto Health Dental Center
- Pediatric Practices
- Senior Primary Care
- Surgical Practices
- Urgent Care
- Specialty Centers
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Center
- Patient Care Services
- Education, Residency Programs & Research
- Community Outreach
- Patient Stories
- Palmetto Health Foundation
- Volunteer Programs
Procedures and Services
The caring, compassionate team at Carolina Cardiac Surgery Associates is dedicated to learning new surgical procedures that lessen patient stress during surgery, decrease complications, and quicken recovery time.
Our goal is to continually bring the newest techniques in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery to South Carolina.
Our Procedures and services include:
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- Off-pump (beating heart) coronary artery bypass grafting (OPCAB)
- Minimally invasive saphenous (leg) vein harvest
- Valve replacement and repair, including minimally invasive valve surgery
- Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) implantation
- Atrial fibrillation corrective procedures
- Adult congenital cardiac surgery
- Transmyocardial laser revascularization (TMR)
- Vascular surgery
- Multidisciplinary heart valve disease specific center management
- Aortic aneurysm surgery, including stent grafting of the thoracic and abdominal aorta
- Carotid artery surgery
- Lung cancer surgery, including minimally invasive thorascopic lobectomy
- Mediastinal surgery
- Aortic and extremity peripheral vascular occlusive disease surgery
- Peripheral Vascular (PV) Lab
- Subclavian artery surgery
- Thoracoscopic sympathectomy for hyperhidrosis
The Aortic Center
The first in the Midlands region, the Aortic Center at Carolina Cardiac Surgery Associates is an innovative blend of surgical expertise, technology and quality patient care. We employ minimally invasive techniques in appropriate candidates, and educate our patients on the lifelong management of aortic disease. We provide access to the most advanced technologies available in the treatment of:
- Acute and chronic aortic dissections
- Thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms
- Arch aortic aneurysms
- Ascending aortic aneurysms
- Descending thoracic aneurysms
- Iliac aneurysms
- Pseudoaneurysms of the aorta
- Visceral artery aneurysms
- Marfan syndrome
- Abdominal aortic aneurysms
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Carolina Cardiac Surgery Associates offers minimally invasive cardiovascular and thoracic surgery options to qualified patients, a gentler alternative to an open chest approach. Performed through smaller incisions using specialized surgical instruments, this approach greatly benefits the patient in terms of less blood loss and decreased pain and discomfort. Recovery time is also quicker, so patients usually can look forward to less time in the hospital. Our practice was the first in the state to perform minimally invasive mitral valve surgery and the first in central South Carolina to perform a thoracic aneurysm repair using an endograft.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a thoracic and cardiovascular surgeon?
A thoracic and cardiovascular surgeon performs surgical procedures that treat diseases affecting organs in the thorax, or chest, which includes conditions of the heart (cardiovascular disease) and lungs (lung disease), and treats problems of the peripheral arterial tree.
What procedures does a thoracic and cardiovascular surgeon perform?
A thoracic and cardiovascular surgeon performs a variety of procedures including coronary artery bypass graft (CABG), heart valve repair and replacement, heart and/or lung transplantation, arrhythmia surgery, thoracic aorta repairs, and peripheral vascular surgery. Carolina Cardiac Surgery Associates’ surgeons also can apply an increasing number of minimally invasive techniques to traditional operative approaches. Minimally invasive procedures put less stress on the patient’s body, thus reducing pain, recovery time, and length of post-operative stay in the hospital. This leads to a quicker return to normal activity or work.
How do I make an appointment?
First, you will need a referral from your physician, such as your primary care physician, nurse practitioner, cardiologist or pulmonologist. Your doctor’s office will send us the appropriate forms and medical records and schedule an appointment for you. You might be directed to schedule the appointment yourself after a referral has been sent to us by your doctor.
What should I bring with me to my appointment?
Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to ensure we have all appropriate information. Bring your insurance card(s) and any information or films your doctor’s office instructed you to bring. Also, bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications you currently take. You should bring a list of the medications with you as well.
The forms below may be printed and completed prior to your arrival. Please bring a copy to your visit.
- Carolina Cardiac Surgery Health Questionnaire
- Patient Information Form
- Authorization for Release of Information
- General Consent
- MyHealth Registration
Where do I go for my appointment?
Carolina Cardiac Surgery Associates is located in 8 Richland Medical Park, Suite 400, adjacent to the Palmetto Health Heart Hospital on the Palmetto Health Richland campus in Columbia, SC. For detailed directions, go to Location.
What do I need to do be ready for my surgery?
Your physician will instruct you on what you need to do depending on your individual needs and what type of surgery you will have. Your surgeons will tell you when to arrive for surgery. Wear comfortable clothes. Bring a trusted friend or family member with you who can stay throughout the duration of the surgery.
After my surgery, when will I see my physician again?
We will schedule you for a follow-up visit within three weeks following your procedure.
How do I reach my physician if I experience problems after surgery?
Carolina Cardiac Surgery Associates is available to answer your questions 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Contact our office at 803-765-0871 during normal business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. After hours, call the same number. Our answering service will connect you with our on-call physician.