Adult Chemical Dependency/Dual Diagnosis

Inpatient treatment to help aid recovery from addiction

Prisma Health offers brief inpatient treatment for those needing medical detoxification to safely withdraw from alcohol or drugs such as benzodiazapenes (Xanax, Valium, Klonopin). Our inpatient unit also cares for patients who have a psychiatric illness in addition to chemical dependence, often referred to as co-morbid disorders or dual diagnoses.

Inpatient stays are usually 3–5 days, and patients often transition into outpatient care at our Addiction Recovery Center to complete their treatment.

Contact us at 803-434-4813

Addiction, or chemical dependence, is not a weakness, but a disease that affects people of all races, genders, ages and walks of life.
  • Research shows there is a biological component to addiction
  • As with other medical illnesses, addiction problems can be treated
  • If you think you may have a problem, call 1-888-724-7888 or 803-434-4813
How to talk to someone you love about getting help

If you are concerned about the drinking or drug use of someone you love, it’s helpful to plan what you want to say before you talk to them. Here are some guidelines to keep in mind.

  • Don’t talk to the person when they’re drunk or high. They cannot take in what you’re saying. You may consider talking to them the next day, when they are remorseful and the impact of their use is fresh on their mind.
  • Be gentle and loving. Avoid a confrontational approach. Talk about their good qualities and how important they are to you.
  • Be specific. Present the facts about their use. Use “I” phrases like “I’ve noticed you drink a six-pack of beer after work everyday,” or “I’m worried that you’ve become dependent on your pain pills.” Avoid “you” phrases like “You’re always drunk”. Back up your concern with examples of how their using has caused problems for both of you, including the most recent incident.
  • Talk about how their use is affecting whatever is most important to them, such as their children or their job. They may not care about their situation, but may be concerned about how their use is affecting those they love.
  • Realize that even if they are not willing to get help now, you have planted a seed for recovery that may grow later.
  • Seek our resources for yourself through NA, AA, Al-Anon, Alateen or your own minister, counselor, doctor or others knowledgeable about this issue. Even if your loved one is not ready to get help, you can get help for yourself.
Birthplace tours – Richland

Having a baby? Take a free tour of the Birthplace.

Seven ways to support your immunity

March 25, 2020